Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Bread Project #4 - Guest Post

I thought it would be a good idea to have a guest post from none other than the woman who taught me how to make bread- my mother! 

She is the bread maker master. And the following recipe is delicious and amazing! We always wake up on Easter and Christmas morning to the smell of these delicious buns coming out of the oven. 

Enjoy! 

“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.” 
James Beard

There are very few things in life that have the power to directly connect you to your
ancestral history. Every time I make “Three Day Buns” I can’t help but think that I am
doing the same thing my foremothers and forefathers did hundreds of years ago. Well,
maybe not exactly the same thing, for today I have the convenience of pre-packaged
yeast. My Norwegian ancestors didn’t have that luxury, thus the name “Three Day” buns.
My Grandmother Inez claims that it really did take three days to make these amazingly
tender and slightly sweet, rolls. 

Day 1 - the starter was made. I’m assuming this was similar to a sourdough starter – a
way to cultivate yeast when you couldn’t go to the store and buy it.
Day 2 – use the starter to make the dough, and let it rise. Because it was organically
cultivated yeast, it took a lot longer to rise than present-day dough.
Day 3 – Form the dough into rolls, let them rise again. Then bake them and enjoy the
fruit of your hands and your patience!
I love the thought that I am carrying on a tradition that is centuries old. Three day buns
have been a special treat for our family – made only three or four times a year – mostly
on holidays. They are best eaten right from the oven and slathered with real butter.
Leftover buns can be sliced in half, toasted, and topped with butter, honey, or jam for a
tasty treat. They keep for several days if wrapped in a plastic bag, and they freeze well. 
As I made Three Day Buns today, I was reminded that I am the keeper of the rare gift
of an ancient bread recipe - A recipe representing a long line of bakers symbolizing the
value of life, hearth, and home. As I dream about the day I will teach my grandchildren
how to make Three Day Buns, my hope is that this tradition will continue on for several
more centuries!
Because this recipe has been passed down through the family and is a cherished treasure we prefer to keep it within the family for now, so there isn't the recipe listed. We can't share our best kept secrets! 

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! I'm sad the recipe isn't posted because I would love to make some three day buns!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers