Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Teaching English Part II

Teaching English is hardly ever boring. Of course every job has it's ups and downs and sometimes you may feel like you're stuck in a rut. Thankfully though, often my students make teaching a lot of fun. Here are just a few of my funny stories. I should really keep a little notepad of these comments because I don't remember them all. 

• I tutor two 8 year old boys. For every lesson they bring their bi-lingual picture dictionary for kids. One day these boys were all riled up and they wanted to look up "cacca" in the dictionary which is translated as poop. So they look up this word and just how has this dictionary translated cacca? ---> Shit. So these boys are sat at the table giggling while they repeat shit over and over again, not realizing what they're actually saying. 

• I gave an assignment for my 1st year high school students to write about a time they broke the rules and what the consequence was. This boy I'd say had a rather funny story.... 
• This wasn't my student, but a colleague of mine, and I just have to share it... In Italian the word for niece/nephew is "nipote".  So in this class they were discussing what they did over the weekend. This student shared that she had visited and talked with her nephew, however she was mixing nipote and nephew which came out as nipple. So she told the whole class about visiting her nipple. 

Some moments are funny but also very endearing.... drawing pictures of me and giving me small handmade tokens. 

Such as the time while eating lunch with 2nd year middle school students. Two different students asked me if I used to do TV commercials or if I was a ballerina. 

And this girl was supposed to write 50 words about my presentation on Minnesota and myself and the she had understood 50 sentences. So either she really likes me or was running out of ideas. 
This is only a fraction of the funny things that I experience at work. I think I am now determined to write these catch phrases down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers